Project Manager, Ellen Medical Devices
- Part time (0.4 – 0.6 FTE) opportunity
- Fixed term contract (1 year)
- Flexible working arrangements available
- Respected global research organisation
- Make an impact on global health outcomes
- City: Sydney
- Country: Australia
- Application close date: 30/04/2021
Ellen Medical Devices (EMD) is a for profit company, registered in Australia, co-owned by its Founder Vincent Garvey and George Health, The George Institute for Global Health’s commercialisation “for profit with purpose” holding company. EMD was created to ultimately bring to the market an innovative new form of dialysis for kidney failure, invented by Vincent Garvey, which is more affordable than current forms of dialysis and also has a lower carbon footprint and increased portability. Our mission is to sustainably scale our system and to transform the lives of millions of people who do not have access to an affordable life-saving kidney treatment.
EMD has built working prototypes of its new dialysis system and recently received ethics approval to conduct its first human trials. The intention is to have the new dialysis treatment available for use in clinics around the world within the next three years.
The George Institute for Global Health (‘The George’) is 700+ people around the globe focused on our mission – improving the health of millions of people worldwide. We conduct medical research in over 50 countries and have published 6000+ papers to influence policy and practice in the prevention and treatment of common chronic and critical conditions. Our commercial subsidiaries enable a unique funding model to extend our impact.
Just a sample of the things we’ve done with significant positive impact on global health:
- We’ve released Foodswitch in many countries, a smartphone app that scans barcodes to enable shoppers to choose healthier alternatives.
- We’ve partnered with UNICEF and the University of Oxford to train journalists in India in health reporting and effective health promotion.
- We ran a successful education and awareness program to reduce the amount of salt eaten by people in China by 25% each day, potentially saving up to 125,000 lives a year.
- We’ve used mobile technology to help diagnose mental health in rural India.
- We’re developing medicines and medical devices designed specifically for the developing world.
As part of our ‘growth for impact’ focus, we are now extending our impact by increasingly focusing on inventions to support the delivery of our mission. This role is critical in this endeavour.
This newly established Project Manager opportunity has four main focus areas:
- To help ensure that EMD’s agreed development and business goals, project milestones and timelines are achieved.
- Under the direction of the EMD Managing Director, to develop a structured high level and detailed project plan covering all aspects of the work of EMD: engineering, clinical, regulatory, intellectual property, QMS, revenue raising, cash flow and expenditure and documentation of design development under ISO13485.
- To manage EMD’s interaction and work partnership with a complex network of consulting companies in the engineering, clinical, regulatory, IP and financial spheres.
- Ongoing regular communication of the project plan, tasks, timelines and performance against plan and budget to EMD staff and consultants.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Perform as a Project Manager within the EMD management team.
- Conduct an initial overview of all EMDs current activities and partnerships and prepare a comprehensive project plan using MS Project or equivalent software.
- Maintain registers of teams, tasks and completion dates using Trello, Asana or similar task management systems.
- Review the project plans prepared by consultants for their own responsibilities and incorporate these into the EMD project plan through automated software links. This includes but is not limited to EMD’s engineering, clinical, intellectual property and regulatory consultants.
- Prepare weekly reports on progress against timelines and targets, to be presented at the weekly EMD team meetings.
- Facilitate and encourage EMD staff and consultants to meet their performance goals under the EMD project plan by regular communication and feedback, collaborative persuasion and leadership by example.
- Identify and flag risks to project success to senior EMD management and work with them to identify risk mitigation and corrective interventions where necessary.
Qualification, experience and profile
- The successful applicant will have formal training in project management using MS Project and hands on experience in Project Management for the manufacture of medical devices under ISO13485.
- The preferred educational background of the applicant would be in engineering or the clinical sciences, but this is of secondary importance to experience in medical devices manufacturing.
- Hands on experience of the design and development of medical devices under ISO13485. This should include experience of patent protection of original inventions, field testing new devices with patients, design documentation under ISO13485, obtaining regulatory approval, setting up manufacturing capacity and launching a product in the global clinical marketplace.
- Hands on experience in addressing the market needs for medical devices in resource constrained developing countries, including, preferably, direct experience in the developing world.
Competencies and profile
- A highly organised and methodical person.
- Someone who wants to make a difference in the world.
- Someone who believes that a profession is a calling, not just a job.
- Innovation, challenging the status quo and the standard way of doing things.
- The ability to overcome obstacles and setbacks with creativity.
- Passionate about improving global health outcomes.
- Global outlook and perspective.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well flexibly, i.e. independently and engaging with a variety of teams.
- Ability to communicate with and inspire colleagues, teams and consultant partners and to drive performance.
- A strong commercial outlook and a recognition of the fundamental importance of commercial success.
- A proactive/self-starter who works well under pressure, with initiative to take on unfamiliar tasks.
- A consistent and innate attention to detail.
The closing date for applications is Friday 30th April 2021. We do, however, reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.